Homework 18th July

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Catherine Lee

Homework 18th July

Post by Catherine Lee » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Avarice

She was filled with conceit, and her greed and deceit had destroyed any semblance of charm,
and although she could act, she had not faced the fact only genuine virtues disarm.
So she dreamed of a life as a dominant wife who would dazzle in fine clothes and jewels,
with impressive estate that would make her name great and a husband who’d play by her rules—
who’d succumb to her guile, provide standing and style, precious diamonds to circle her crown,
and distinguishing webs made of bright golden threads woven skilfully into each gown.
She believed that she ought to be flattered and sought by as many rich men to be found
till her goal was procured, future freedom ensured, and a sumptuous life would abound.

When she first saw McGee, she intentionally made a choice to completely entrance,
to impel him to fall as a slave to her call and to lead him a fraudulent dance.
His inherited station inspired her flirtation, with promise of acres to roam—
with no thought of regret she observed the sun set on his land and magnificent home,
while as if by commission it painted this vision in colours of parchment and gold
and a bright tangerine lit the breath-taking scene of serenity grand to behold,
with its huge mallee yard and a sky that grew starred to create an inspiring display—
and she solemnly swore she’d own all this and more, irrespective of price she might pay.

But she had no conception her constant deception was spoken of all over town,
nor that rumours explicit preceded her visit and now she was scorned as a clown.
And McGee, although kind was not foolish or blind to her blatantly devious game,
so he sent her away - and yet still to this day she remains without insight or shame.
Disappointment has hit her; increasingly bitter, a hungry and penniless sight,
she in mindless defiance still plots for alliance, while cursing her miserable plight.
So take heed of her story, and seek not the ‘glory’ of worldly possessions untold—
for the ending is sure when with motives impure you’re just callously digging for gold.

© Catherine Lee, July 2019

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Homework 18th July

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:39 pm

WOW! Brilliant use of the prompts Catherine - well done you. The Ipswich Poetry Feast is still open for entries - might I suggest you enter this one
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Oh my goodness, Catherine! I can but echo Maureen ... WOW indeed!!

So lovely to have you participate ... and what an act to follow!!! :o
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:28 pm

Thank you so much, Maureen and Shelley - it's about time I wrote something again, and what better what to give myself a kick up the backside than attempting your wonderful prompts, Maureen?! I greatly appreciate the kind comments from both of you - funnily enough, I just sent off my Ipswich entry this morning....hmm, food for thought though! xx

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Send in another :lol: Come on girl! It only takes a few minutes on line to do, why the hesitation? :roll: Then when your entry beats mine I will know my opinion was justified :D
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm

:lol: :lol: A good feeling of justification no doubt, but I'm pretty sure you'd prefer the feeling of winning!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 am

Ah, a moral tale :) One slight disagreement over factual details, women with plans like that , don't fail :lol: :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Beautifully written Catherine.

As already mentioned you not only used the prompts - you used them well.

Terry

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:49 pm

Thank you very much Terry....And you too, Neville, despite the small disagreement - actually, you could be right there! :lol: