Homework prompt for week ending 29/04/13

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Homework prompt for week ending 29/04/13

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 am

Morning all - the prompt for this fortnight has been prompted by nature

The constant cawing of the crows outside her bedroom window
and cackling Kookaburras cacophony from the trees
followed by barking, baying, bloody hounds intent on chasing
was enough to make her rise and rant and race to referee

No poetic gem but after less than 4 hours sleep Miss cranky pants is on the war path and two dogs are on very thin ice this morning and those crows are not being viewed with a kindly eye.

However I digress so the challenge is to write a poem on any subject you may chose but to use alliteration within it. Alliteration does not need to be an entire sentence. Any two-word phrase can be alliterative. Even some single words can be alliterative, if they have multiple syllables which begin with the same consonant sound. Remember, alliterative words don’t even necessarily have to start with the same letter, they simply have to have the same first sound).

Alliteration occurs when a series of words in a row (or close to a row) have the same first consonant sound. For example, “She sells sea-shells down by the sea-shore” or “Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers” are both alliterative phrases. In the former, all the words start with the “s” sound, while in the later, the letter “p” takes precedence. Aside from tongue twisters, alliteration is also used in poems, song lyrics, names such as Marilyn Monroe, Jessie Jackson, Ronald Reagan and even store or brand names. Coca Cola and Pay Pal being two that are well known. Alliteration seems to make something stick in our heads better, something perhaps we should take on board when coming up with book titles etc etc.

Thank you to all who participated in the last challenge using that beaut photograph of the Wallangarra station as your prompt.

Lets see what we can do with this one

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.