Homework prompts for week ending 18/03/13

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Homework prompts for week ending 18/03/13

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:41 pm

A few of you have indicated that we could consider the challenge of writing shorter verses – so we will give that a try. There were three written for the last lot of homework if you check back and they were very good, so that is the idea – but let’s try a little harder and raise the bar a bit.

How about we try for an Australian Haiku – which would traditionally have a set out of 3 lines made up of 5/7/5 syllables – a total of 17 syllables only. However we are not doing a Haiku as such rather a Haiku styled poem, so we have no need here to follow the traditional format and style as such, but we will be sticking to the max of 17 syllables so if you want to have a line with 10 followed with a line of 7 that’s up to you.

OK so here is the challenge –
3 to 6 verses.

17 syllables per verse or less

Australian theme… Rhymed or unrhymed.
There is no need for this exercise, for rhyme - but if you can manage one that does, well all the better.

Think you can do it????? Of course you can. And for your theme you could choose anything in nature eg Gum Trees, Corellas, Eagles, Crows,( Footy teams :lol: ) Beaches, Red desert sand – whatever sparks your imagination

There is no need for this exercise, for it rhyme - but if you can manage one that does, well all the better.

And thank you to all (including some of our renowned judges in our poetry world) for participating, there were some wonderfully poems submitted and such a variety as well, and some great comments . It is lovely to see the sharing that goes on in this little portion of the forum. I hope everyone enjoys it – I certainly do.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.