FORGOTTEN WARRIORS

All registered Forum users can post bush poetry dedicated to all those who served
Vic Jefferies

FORGOTTEN WARRIORS

Post by Vic Jefferies » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:46 pm

FORGOTTEN WARRIORS
Their names are not recorded
and you'll find no trace at all,
of the story of their struggle
engraved on a marble wall.

No statues stand erected
with gilt emblazoned stone,
to commemorate the sacrifice
of those who served alone.

No medals or decorations
were awarded for them to wear
and never has this nation
proclaimed that it might care:

For the parents and the children,
the loved ones and the wives,
doomed by war's insanity
to suffer lonely lives.

For when the fighting finished
and peace again was won,
there was no truce declared for them
their battle had just begun.

So when we bow our heads
come next Anzac Day
perhaps we might remember too;
those who fight on still today.
Vic Jefferies. (Copyright 2001.)

Zondrae

Re: FORGOTTEN WARRIORS

Post by Zondrae » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:18 pm

G'day Vic,

Yes, you have captured those for whom the line "they also serve, the ones who wait". I have been trying to memorise my 'Ladies of The Land' to present on Easter Monday. I think I just about have it down.

Somehow, your voice seems to add to the somber nature of those poems that refer to war or sacrifice. I have missed hearing your polished and stirring recitals over the past almost 2 years (is it that long?). I have been playing a track or two from your CD at my IBP gatherings as examples of what a performance should be. I will admit I also played Irish Joe Lynch as a contrast. His very emotional presentation is quite a different style to yours. Our group often numbers 16 even if it is 7am.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Good On You Zondrae,
Glad you liked the poem. The poem was prompted by the war widows I see each year and who sit in an area especially reserved for them on the side of George Street during the Anzac Day March in Sydney.
I am flattered that you should play my cd for anyone!
It sounds as though your poetry group is going from strength to strength. Good to see and I wish you every success!
Vic Jefferies

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:01 am

morning Vic,

It has been my experience in the past, that groups seem to have a natural life of about 18 months to two years - unless they get 'new blood' from time to time. With this group, we had a split after 6 months. That is, half wanted free speech (including using questionable language) and half didn't. So we took our pens and found a new and far better venue, (no stairs, near rail and plenty of parking) and have gone from strength to strength. The 'others' have folded.

Each time we start to flag, someone new turns up to join, and we are revitalised. We had been regularly having 15-16 turn up then it fell away. Just two weeks ago a gent strolled in. When we asked him to introduce himelf he recited a poem. Numbers were up again the very next meeting. I am the chair at the moment and I do an update newsletter after each meeting so that those who don't come can see what they missed. I try to post the winning poem. We have a few people on the newsletter group who are long distance contributors. I won the DPA this week for my 'Our Mate Dave.'

We also accept emailed poems and award a virtual DPA. This draws entries from as far away as Cornwall UK. We have an entry from Bernard DeSilva and a couple of other Queenslanders each week and Ross from Alice Springs sometimes chips in as well as Irene Conner and a couple of others from WA. A few times we have had as many as 8 emailed poems. All good fun - current topic ' the babies shoes'. Which I haven't looked at yet.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:43 am

G'day Zondrae. John Milton wrote those words in a sonnet, written in 1655
" They also serve who only stand and wait " The situation has been around for a long time.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:56 am

G'day Neville,

Yep! I would say that things haven't changed much since Cain was a boy.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Point being Neville, we should spare them a thought on Anzac Day.

Vic

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:41 pm

That's right Vic. There was an article on the news today that 14 more of the remains of Australians killed at Fromelles have been recently identified. There are still a number yet unidentified which means there are families who waited for years and who never found out what had happened to their men who left for The Great War, which ended 93 years ago.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.