Flowers of Glory

All registered Forum users can post bush poetry dedicated to all those who served
manfredvijars

Flowers of Glory

Post by manfredvijars » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:20 am

Flowers of Glory
(c) 2007 Manfred Vijars
Last edited by manfredvijars on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heather

Re: Flowers of Glory

Post by Heather » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:41 am

I think this is brilliant Manfred. Love the concept of the soldiers as flowers.

Heather :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:50 pm

I liked the concept Manfred but I kept stalling at the last line in every verse feeling like it needed more.

Still it made me think and thats what it is all about.

Well done Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Battalions of harvest plucked from each side
We tend to think of"Our boys"but everyone lost is a lover a brother or a son. Good one Manfred.

Dave.
I Keep Trying

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:01 am

I like this Manfred...the brevity of the lines picks up the beat of a drum that you hear often at military services IMO...I am not musical so don't know the correct terminology (is it a ruffle?) for it but that quick sharp ratta tat tat, ratta tat tat that they play on snare drums.

Beautiful words.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:01 am

Thank you for your kind words. I had a picture of Battalions of uniformed Ghosts, battered and tattered. Soldiers from all nations in close order formation slow-marching past these cemetaries at sundown to a single side-drum stuccato. I can even see their individual faces shaking their heads in berwilderment.

The crux (and irony) of the piece is the third stanza, "Held in the bosoms of our former foes" ... "anger erased".

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Manfred. I think that the mood and style of this piece is very appropriate for the tragic theme. Nothing more needs to be added to make the point.

It's a sad reflection, even the allusion to reconciliation doesn't seem to relieve the sadness.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 pm

From Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (1881-1938) : Ottoman, Turkish army officer, revolutionary statesman, writer, and the first President of Turkey ...

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

----

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:22 pm

That is a great statement Manfred, and a poem to equal it!
Ross

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks for your kind words Ross ...

Albany Western Australia Harbour entrance named after Kemal Ataturk.
In a reciprocal agreement in 1985 the channel leading into Princess Harbour (Albany WA) was officially named Ataturk Channel whilst the Turkish Govt. offically named the beach at Gallipoli where the Australian and New Zealand troops landed "Anzac Cove". In 2002 a statue of Mustafa Kamal Ataturk was erected overlooking the Channel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.