This Soldier's Son

All registered Forum users can post bush poetry dedicated to all those who served
Heather

This Soldier's Son

Post by Heather » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:48 pm

This is one of my very early poems and although I've read it at breakfasts a couple of times I've never posted it. I first read it at Bungendore in 2010. Interesting to see how my writing has changed in that time. :) It got a "special mention" at the Tenterfield Oracles in 2012.

[/i]

Neville Briggs

Re: This Soldier's Son

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Goodonya Heather. Did you get any comments or feedback at the breakfasts or Bungendore ?

Perhaps the local paper might run it for 11th November ?
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Lots of feedback Neville. I first read this poem (or the first version of it) at Bungendore in early 2010 and had the audience in tears. I had a couple of ladies come up to me the next day to say how it affected them and one started crying - again - that was very touching. One had a son in the services and wanted a copy but at the time I said "not yet" as I hadn't finished tinkering with it. Blow me down if that same lady sought me out when I was at Tamworth in Jan 2012 and asked again for a copy - she'd remembered the poem and my name! That was pretty amazing.

I hadn't thought of the local paper Neville but might do that - they usually print whatever I send them for Remembrance or Anzac Day.

For anyone who is wondering, it is based on an Australian soldier who lost his life in Afghanistan in late 2009.

Heather :)

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Nice work, Heather.

Once again I say, bring our heroes home.

Mal :cry:
Preserve the Culture!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:34 pm

I can well imagine the lady concerned remembering this one Heather and your name - if you had sons, brothers, fathers etc fighting over there or in any other conflict of war here or in the past it would resonate with you.

It is an excellent piece of work IMO - sure the local paper will feel privileged to receive it.

Cheers

Mureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks for the comments Mal and Maureen.

:)

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 pm

I think it's fabulous Heather. You know when a poem strikes a chord with the audience... it's a powerful feeling. More power to you!
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:58 am

Thanks Robyn. :)

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:01 am

Brilliant poem Heather. Extremely well written, neither maudlin nor mawkish and deserving of wider publication.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Bonza Heather. ;) :)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.