A Soldier

All registered Forum users can post bush poetry dedicated to all those who served
Heather

A Soldier

Post by Heather » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Last edited by Heather on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Heather

Re: A Soldier

Post by Heather » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks Marty, having a play around with metre with this one.

Heather :)

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:56 pm

G'day Heather, love this eh! though I found it a bit 'jerky' in places when tapping my finger to the beat rule.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:40 am

Hi Dave, good to see you back. I thought you might have been washed away up there. Did you have a good holiday?

I wrote A Soldier's Son Was Born Today with three stanzas but wanted to extend it and couldn't get it happening at the time. I tried extending it yesterday but what I wrote didn't seem to fit so I ended up with something new.

This poem has two soft beats in the 2nd and 4th line of each stanza so it won't follow the dum de dum rhythm. I found it rather tricky to do. I still think it needs a bit of polishing.

Heather :)
Last edited by Heather on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:06 am

No worries Heather, we are fine in Cairns, no flooding here (yet) our 'wet' season is about to begin. Our 'break' was enjoyable spending time with the grandkids.

I see what you mean about the 2 soft beats, that is where I was having trouble.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 am

Good one Heather. I think that the way you have varied the metre is very suitable for the mood of the words and the theme.
To me it makes a sort of drum beat every second line in keeping with the mood of the military funeral.

Unfortunately it looks like there will be plenty more material on this theme.

Neville
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am

Dave we all have to take turns at being flooded you know - well that is how it seems this past few months. Not that I would wish it on anyone. Rockhampton is really having a hard time of it. It must be such a helpless feeling. I've heard from Kym and she is high and dry which is a relief.

Thanks Neville. I've made a few minor changes and (think) I am happy with it now - a woman always reserves the right to change her mind! This one was also inspired by the loss of Lance Corporal Jared Mackinney.

Heather