Tears of Remembrance

All registered Forum users can post bush poetry dedicated to all those who served
Trisha Patterson

Re: Tears of Remembrance

Post by Trisha Patterson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks Marty...it came about after watching an item on the news this morning about a couple of diggers who sold poppies every year, but this year only one was selling, and it seemed so sad.
Trisha

william williams

Post by william williams » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:30 am

thanks Trish the quiet reverence that you have told really shows how quickly people forget

BILL WILLIAMS

Henry Snicklesnorter

Post by Henry Snicklesnorter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:40 am

Beautifully done Trisha.

So long as there are people like yourself that care, they will never be forgotten.

Trisha Patterson

Post by Trisha Patterson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:46 am

I'm sure thats true Marty, but will the newer generations have the same respect for those diggers? It seems it is disappearing already!

Thanks Henry!
And yes Bill, it is sad that so many just see it as another day in their busy lives!
Trisha

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:58 am

Nicely done Trisha. They are slowly disappearing aren't they? My father-in-law is now 87. He tried to join when he was 16 and was sent packing! He later joined the RAAF when he was about 18.

I bought a poppy the other day and others were doing the same. Maybe living in a country town makes a difference - I don't know.

I actually think there is more interest in our war history and the veterans now - certainly more than when I was a kid. ANZAC Day has almost become our national day and we get large attendances at the services in the small local towns where I live.

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Well done Trish.
I was in the supermarket today when the clock tolled eleven, a voice announced a minutes silence for the fallen, some of us stood in reflection, but many others just carried on. So tempted to ask "Do you not have a conscience?"

Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Lovely Trish.

“The poppies might be wilted and trampled by the throng,
but the memory of our fallen will live on and on and on”

David J Delaney ©

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:29 pm

They sell poppies Trish in Brisbane every year at Central station and on the street corners and it is the young cadets in uniform who do so...they are always well supported and do the same on Anzac Day so I think the tradition will continue, it is just the old veterans will be newer veterans sadly for we don't seem to learn.

Your poem is a wonderful tribute to all of those we have lost and it is so sad to see the old Diggers declining in numbers and the Vietnam vets are of course all now in the 60' and 70's.

This is a canadian clip of the minutes silence in a supermarket and those who didn't give it... a parade of old veterans ghosts carrying the flag paraded past the people in check out lines wanting their transactions done and eventually humbled them to bow their heads and show respect.

worth watching - it will move you to tears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u ... re=related
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Very well done Trish. For a minute I thought it was something you had seen in Singleton..... ,
Heaven forbid :( ,

Great work. :)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Trisha Patterson

Post by Trisha Patterson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:18 pm

The gremlins just stole my reply!! Take II....
Thanks Heather, Sue & David for your replies. The vision of the ninety ?year old man selling poppies really touched a nerve for me!
Thanks Maureen, I had a look at the u-tube clip...really good...and I loved the tune!

Thanks Neville...and "no" it wasn't Singleton! That would have been doubly disgraceful!!
Trish