Sharpshooters Target

All registered Forum users can post bush poetry dedicated to all those who served
Neville Briggs

Sharpshooters Target

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 am

I found Dave Delaney's poem about the sniper very interesting and well done. It inspired me to try to do my own version, which I chose to do in a fixed form rather than a free form. It's not meant to be a rewrite of his or to compete, just another way of working the theme.

SHARPSHOOTER'S TARGET

It's not a deed to do in battle's anger,
There's time to think and choose who dies to-day.
But what stray thoughts could turn the ambush-hunter
From striking like a snake upon the prey.
Is he a son, a brother, father, mate ?
Why should his children feed on bitter years ?
They haven't raised their hands to kill and hate
But now could have a price to pay in tears.
He shows down through the scope, for just a moment;
A shadow puppet with no name to call,
And doesn't see a distant pointing movement.
His name is enemy and he must fall.
Take careful aim and hold the target steady,
Don't pull the trigger; squeeze when you are ready.
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Sharpshooters Target

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:48 am

agree - that is very good Neville - can't imagine how these blokes coped with the thoughts of this job once the war was over. :(
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:22 am

Good poems both but I wonder how the famous Anzac sniper Billy Singh got on. He had a confirmed 150 "kills" though many claim he had up to 300 in total.

Vic

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Wow!!.. Neville I really like the way you conveyed the story & in an almost Shakespearean style sonnet & agree with Maureen, how did some of these blokes cope.

Vic, one of the ex-service mags I receive did a couple of page story on Billy, amazing man he was, must see if I can dig it out & read again.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks for the replies Marty, Maureen, Vic and Dave. Yes Dave I tried to fit it into a sonnet form ( maybe appropriate, I'm not sure ) I even slipped in simile and metaphors :)

I think the answer to coping , Maureen, I tried to convey in the last couplet. The bottom line is; these men were trained to do a task which was valued as a special skill.
Vic might correct me, as I understand it, the role of the sniper is an important tactical role in which the main purpose is to weaken the coherence of an opposing force by taking out their NCOs or Commanders. Lord Nelson, the British Naval Fleet Commander at the Battle of Trafalgar, was killed by a sniper , some say because he was identifiable as a high ranking officer by his dress.
I think for this reason, modern day NCOs and Officers wear battle dress that has rank insignia that is hard to see from a distance even perhaps removable in combat.

"War is Hell" said General Ullyses S Grant ( I think it was him , whoever said it ; was right).
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Yes Neville that can be the role of a sniper but in the case of Billy Singh he simply killed everyone he was able to.
David they are currently making a picture about Billy Singh and as he was of Chinese heritage, there is a great deal of controversy over the starring role being filled by someone who is not Asian or of Asian descent.
You can learn more about Billy on wikipedia and google. A fantastic story!