SHAKESPEARE DIDN'T WRITE IT

This section contains archival material from former Forum users.
Membership forms: http://www.abpa.org.au/membership.html
Jeff Thorpe

SHAKESPEARE DIDN'T WRITE IT

Post by Jeff Thorpe » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:00 pm

SHAKESPEARE DIDN’T WRITE IT!

Shakespeare’s never turned me on, the Banjo more my scene,
Regret’s colt and Clancy much closer to my liking
but, even I must concede, the Bard was no “has been”,
a legacy defined as nothing less than striking.

His pen was so prolific, at the risk of sounding trite,
“the Magna Carta’s ‘bout the only piece he didn’t write.”
thirty-seven plays, four poems, sonnets numbering one five four,
a quite herculean task, who could ask for more.

But, despite he not being my playwright number one,
I’ve been and sampled some of Shakespeare’s ethos,
stopped at Stratford on his birthday, and not to be outdone
saw Macbeth staged in the town hall, full of pathos.

And furthermore, in London, saw a show at Shakespeare’s Globe,
not the place to be for a claustrophobe,
“groundlings” in the pit trading diatribe with the cast,
“Bedlam” the play, such performance unsurpassed.

“Greatest writer in the English language,” much tribute to uphold
concerning one who died near four hundred years ago,
though Shakespeare’s full history may yet be untold,
what was the seed keeping creativeness aglow?

Perhaps this could be clarified by a recent find
of what may have affected the Bard’s state of mind,
cannabis traced in pipes unearthed from his garden,
one could be excused for asking “Beg your pardon”?

Advanced techniques have made this incredible detection,
suggesting Shakespeare might have smoked some pot,
conjecture is fuelled by sonnet seventy-six inspection,
do words “compounds strange” and “noted weed” mean a lot?

Did Shakespeare, like Lucy play with diamonds in the sky?
Were his works so acclaimed, produced while he was high?
Does it really matter what he did or didn’t write?
His place in history’s sealed, let him rest free of blight.

Jeff Thorpe © 17 August 2015

Neville Briggs

Re: SHAKESPEARE DIDN'T WRITE IT

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:07 pm

Some of our bush poets have been alleged to have penned verse under the influence of fermented and spirituous liquors, I suppose Henry Lawson could have left a pile of empty bottles under the house. So I guess drug induced imagination is nothing new Jeff. :lol:

Your Shakespeare expedition sounds marvellous. I'd be in that if I had the chance. I have been to Stratford but not the Globe..
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Jeff Thorpe

Post by Jeff Thorpe » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:53 pm

The "Pot" issue just adds to speculation I guess Nev. It's drawing a fairly long bow though 400 odd years after Shakespeare's time. The Globe theatre is really worth a visit - unlike anything we'd ever experienced.

Cheers, Jeff

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Well done Jeff. His place in history is indeed sealed, and I like that last line about letting him rest. I've enjoyed a couple of visits to Stratford and also a performance at The Globe, and would go again.

Jeff Thorpe

Post by Jeff Thorpe » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:13 pm

Thanks Catherine. Shakespeare as a topic is anything but "Much Ado About Nothing".

Regards, Jeff

LongMan

Post by LongMan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:57 pm

G'day Jeff,

Well done Jeff...yeah would be nice to head to the old dart...and experience Shakespearean England..

I'm gonna say somth'n controversial here. Yeah Shakespeare the writer is an interesting subject...I mean what I believe another was involved. Yeah, yeah I know but please hear me out. In my studies, Sir Francis Bacon's name keep's popp'n up as the skilled intellectual who wrote those amazing pieces of work we know today as written by Shakespeare. Clearly Bacon was well versed in technical writing, a very intelligent individual...and there are some conspiracy theorist scholars that say he was alleged to be the real “Shakespeare.” The actual man behind the words... To add to this, his original manuscripts are all missing; so a comparison is not possible of handwriting... I wonder, Hmm?

Given Sir Bacon was a nobleman, and held the highest position in the English Parliament, the attorney General and Lord Chancellor of England at one stage. But he was close to financial ruin, from over spending and from poor management of his personal funds...thus writing for the theater for money would be very tempting. But if he did, it was in a time when it was considered by the upper classes that to associate with the theater to be blasphemous...to associate with those degenerates that were actors, street performers dear god, those who were one step above street scum...and for someone like Beacon to associate with them would be detrimental for a member of English Parliament...and dash any re-election hopes. So why would Beacon associate with individuals in the theater? Yet did Bacon ever visit the globe theater..? I don't know....

As we know Shakespeare was a known drunkard...he often drunk himself into a sputa many times. Yet how he didn't show such a great skill with the spoken word...to sit down and write what he did...all those amazing works...written by just one man? So what gives? How does a man write with such amazing imagination and skill; yet his behavior was so contradictory to arguably the greatest writer in the history of the English language. He as the man seems quite the enigma...at least to me..

Sir Francis Beacon died of phenomena while studying the effects of ice refrigeration on meat. So it was rather an ignominious end for such a great man...It would be interesting to hear others thoughts on the matter.

PHIL.

Stuck 8000 miles away from home...

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:29 pm

LongMan wrote:Clearly Bacon was well versed in technical writing
:lol: :lol: you've made a funny Phil.
Neville

LongMan

Post by LongMan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:13 pm

G'day,

I try...Mr. Neville. Ah..all those ghost writers...unmentioned within history texts...hidden amongst the torn parchment, blunt quills, and blotchy inks. The pathos, the funniness of a catastrophe...is the cats meow...

PHIL.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:19 pm

I suppose the phenomenon of a refrigerated carcase could lead to pneumonia. ;) :)
Neville

LongMan

Post by LongMan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:10 pm

G'day All,

We may never know what happen to Bacon...Yet an educated guess...I suspect inhaling spores from some form of fungus can cause a chemical Phenomena from spoiling meat. Some cultures use bacteria/fungus to cure meats and fish...and he would have studied spoilage. But Phenomena is always in your body, combined with his old age, damaged immune system and some existing health issues prob contributed to its re-activation and his evidential death.

Yet was he the true William Shakespeare?

PHIL.