FLEET RED HORSES - Graham Fredriksen

This section contains archival material from former Forum users.
Membership forms: http://www.abpa.org.au/membership.html
manfredvijars

FLEET RED HORSES - Graham Fredriksen

Post by manfredvijars » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:23 pm

FLEET RED HORSES
(c) Graham Fredriksen 1956 - 2010
Memorial to Billy Boy:—Appaloosa x Arab gelding:
Sep. 1979—Jan. 5th, 2003.
Last edited by manfredvijars on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neville Briggs

Re: FLEET RED HORSES - Graham Fredriksen

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:57 pm

That's exceptional writing Manfred. Thanks for posting that.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:11 am

a glorious tribute :( :( - what greater love has man.

Thanks Mannie for posting it here.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 am

Neville I couldn't agree more! Graham Fredericksen's poem is outstanding and in my opinion is by any measure a great poem. However as you say if it were entered in a competition how would it be judged? Under the current system he would lose marks for inaccurate rhymes and the literary content of the piece may not carry the day. Then of course there exists the problem of the uneven verses with the last verse only having four lines where the rest have eight. Probably lose points there too.
Graham chose not to commence each line with a capital which could be a problem for some judges who prefer the traditional capital at each line beginning. The deletion of a capital is only a matter of fashion which crept into poetry about the middle of last century and was mainly introduced by those who wrote free verse so I see it as as a matter of choice that should not be penalised either way.
However having said all that this is bush poetry and the rules demand consistent and accurate rhyme so the judges would be right to apply the rules and deduct points even if it meant a lesser poem won!
However I dare say Graham's poem will still be read in twenty years time and perhaps even after that.The winning poem may very probably disappear never to be heard again, despite its correct rhyme and meter and conforming with the rules.
So who is the real winner?

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Maybe Graham's para-rhymes provoke a discordant note that matches the disturbing mood of the poem?

Did anyone else notice the 'end-rhymes' were multi sylabic?

Devices appropriatly applied by a master craftsman perhaps.

I'm sure that many judges have a greater ability than we give them credit for ... :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:47 pm

I did notice the multisyllable rhyming , Manfred. That was after I looked at it as an example for discussion.
At first when I read it as a poem I didn't worry about that, I just enjoyed it for what it was, an excellent work.

This is just my musing, but I think we need to consider poems not just as the sum of particulars but as a holistic thing , in some mystic way perhaps greater than the sum of its parts. Certainly this one is like that... I reckon.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Jasper Brush

Post by Jasper Brush » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 pm

He was a great poet, Manfred.

He deserves a place in poetry heritage.

John

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 am

G'day all,

Twice, I have read this (flamin' horse) poem and, twice, I have become misty eyed.

Manfred, where can I buy a copy of this poets book/s?
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:13 am

G'day Manfred,

I'm sorry to be a pain in the neck and I know you gave these details before... and I wrote them down on a piece of paper.. and can't find it. (I have tried to find the post but can't find that either. I know it is there but... Please, can you give me the address where I can send for a copy of this Poet's book. Thanks. (I will then do it right away.)
Zondrae King
a woman of words

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 am

In General Chit-Chat and Off Topic Zondrae ... :)

If anyone still wants books by Graham Fredriksen, the family still have a number of copies of his two books, "Another Day in Paradise" and "Paradise Revisited". The price for these two books is $18 each (including postage to anywhere in Australia).

Send your cheque or money order made out to, A. Fredriksen ...

A. Fredriksen
69 William Street
Kilcoy
Qld 4515

I believe that any money from the sale of these books will be going to the local Kilcoy Primary School.