MAGICIANS OF THE PAST

This section contains archival material from former Forum users.
Membership forms: http://www.abpa.org.au/membership.html
Vic Jefferies

MAGICIANS OF THE PAST

Post by Vic Jefferies » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:52 pm

MAGICIANS OF THE PAST.

Now the learned scholars and their friends the critics too,
Claim there's nothing special in what ' Banjo' used to do.

Even Henry Kendall with his 'Bell Birds' tale sublime
Was, in their opinion, less than ordinary in his time!

Henry Lawson, Lindsay Gordon, Will Ogilvie and Co.
Wrote nothing else but doggerel, and didn’t really know,

How to weave a magic spell that could touch our country’s heart,
But this is where their arguments must surely fall apart:

For when they claim those who wrote our treasured rhyme and verse
Were really only common hacks; illiterates and worse

They display their lack of skill, and doom themselves to failure,
For what they criticize is - the magic that was Australia.

Vic Jefferies (2001)

Dave Smith

Re: MAGICIANS OF THE PAST

Post by Dave Smith » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:57 pm

I like that poem and most heartedly agree.

Some people just got no idea, goodonya Vic.

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Are you sure that's true Vic.

I have a couple of contemporary anthologies, one compiled by a modernist poet and and one by an ABC literary critic and they both include poems by Henry Lawson and Banjo Paterson and Henry Kendall, et al.
The one compiled by a modernist poet includes " Bell Birds " " How McDougall Topped the Score" , " The Man from Ironbark " and the "The Old Whim Horse " by Edward Dyson.
The one by the ABC literary writer includes "The Travelling Post Office" by Paterson and " The Play " by C.J. Dennis. Both anthologies have plenty of the free verse style of thing as well.

So, sorry, I'm not sure where you are coming from.
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:16 pm

You are right Neville. I have similar recent anthologies but the point is contemporary poets and the current literati scene do not consider "Bush Poetry" nor its old masters as favourably as "we " do and in fact consider rhyme as old hat and something to be scorned.
I seriously doubt you will see many (any) of our craft mentioned in future literary awards because now the learned scholars and their friends the critics too claim there is anything special in what Banjo used to do!

Vic

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:40 am

Vic Jefferies wrote: contemporary poets and the current literati scene do not consider "Bush Poetry" nor its old masters as favourably as "we " do and in fact consider rhyme as old hat and something to be scorned.
Sorry to labour the point, but if Jamie Grant and Geoff Page ( both contemporary poets and well established part of the current literati scene ) include bush poets in their anthologies; then I am still puzzled, how could the bush poets be said to be disfavoured or scorned by the current scene. I have never heard of any contemporary commentator decrying the significance of Lawson or Paterson in Australian literary culture.

Also Les Murray, who is the literary editor of Quadrant, includes in this journal , rhymed and metred verse alongside other styles. Contemporary Australian poets such as Jamie Grant, Clive James, Kevin Hart, Stephen Edgar,Alan Wearne et al , all write rhymed poetry.

I think "we" need to be sure what the reason is, for any lack of wide recognition of "bush poetry".
Is it because of rhyme being considered old hat or because of something else.

p.s. Marty..consensus means all ( 100%) agreed, not majority agreement. ;) how would anyone figure 100% agreement on poetry.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Hully

Post by Hully » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:56 am

"I think "we" need to be sure what the reason is, for any lack of wide recognition of "bush poetry".
Is it because of rhyme being considered old hat or because of something else."....Neville

This the bravest thing that has been said on this site in 12 months - and the truest..

h

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Never have any problems wih any of the groups I attend both bush poets or any other genre. I remember Zondrae saying once that she called herself a rhymeing poet I think because she felt that some people looked at her in a funny way when she said she was a bush poet.

I find it is all in the way that you present the product and sometimes the subject matter can effect how the others react. Almost like coming out at AA is it not ( thats for Neville ) oh not the AA bit Nev.

I'm A BUSH POET AND PROUD OF IT !!!

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Am I wrong in thinking that the likes of Lee and Tania Kernaghan, John Williamson, the late Slim Dusty, Adam Brand, Yothu Yindi, Paul Kelly, Sunny Cowgirls etc etc who are all renowned and loved singers in the Country Music scene are not in their own rights Bush Poets???? :o

There is a strong C and W following in Australia and most of the lyrics that you hear rhyme......so if I am correct and not being to simplistic how can Bush Poetry per se ever die out???? Please explain

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:40 pm

I really enjoyed the poem Vic.

I agree with Bob (help!) people who are not part of the bush poetry scene do enjoy it when they hear it - just have to see the audience at Bob's recitals. It is entertainment. I also find that when I read or email my friends a poem they really enjoy it - it's just that most people are not exposed to poetry full stop, let alone rhyming poetry. Goes back to exposing kids to poetry, once again.. well, actually, exposing the public, not just kids. Got to be louder people!!

Heather :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:44 pm

HOLY SNAPPIN DUCK ( DROPPINGS )

Did you see that Heather agreed with ME !!!!!!!!!

The naughty corner king. What next world peace ????

Thank you Heather.

RAMP
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!