SWEARING

This section contains archival material from former Forum users.
Membership forms: http://www.abpa.org.au/membership.html
Heather

Re: SWEARING

Post by Heather » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:38 am

Is that close to 1000 Zondrae?

william williams

Post by william williams » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:55 am

hey neville is there that many mate

hey Zondrae a thousand words struth I don't know that many

colourfull speech I have been known to use especialy around stock but never swear around women mum said as she boxed my ears
but when milking one morning the cow stood on her foot we weren't game to box her ears

bill williams

Bellobazza

Post by Bellobazza » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Stone the flamin' crows an' stiffen the bleedin' lizards! Cripes! Wot's this site comin' to with all this pro-blanky-fanity an' loorid langwidge ?

Who said that!?

Wasn't me. I never use fowl language.
"Each poet that I know (he said)
has something funny in his head..." CJD

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:37 am

I've heard some colourful language in the back blocks over the years and from some pretty tough blokes that it just comes natural with, but today you hear women and kids whose mouths it just flows from and it sounds really grose.

I can remember when we got our mouths washed out with soap when caught using profanity. Ahh such is life. Enjoyed your reflections Terry.

The Storyteller.
Some days your the pidgeon and other days the statue.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 pm

G/day T.S.T (Thestoryteller)

Yep I'm like you, I hate hearing women use real crook language.

I've been a prospector for most my life and like you have come across some experts when it comes to swearing. The thing I've always noticed is that if you spend enough time with them, no mater how hard you try to resist, pretty soon you'll start to speak their lingo.

Cheers and thanks for taking the time to read it. - Terry

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:23 am

Well Maureen,

Thank you for hunting out the facts. I knew it was lots. There you go 615,000 words at least! why use the two or three that 'proper' educated people, or (most English speaking) society in general, frown on or deem offensive. I'm still convinced it is either lack of knowledge (of other adjectives) or a desire to offend or shock. But then again it could be simply, in the case of the very young, an attempt at appearing grown up. We should perhaps look at their role models?

Oh I hope my English teacher isn't going to make me analise the above sentences.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Leonie

Post by Leonie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:56 am

We went to a work do at the Comedy Club on Saturday night and the MC was a woman whose language was more than a bit over the top. She even used the dreaded 'c' word more than a few times. All the comedians used the 'f' word constantly. Most of the people at our table were pretty young and later most said that they enjoyed the night but didn't like the swearing, particularly the MC. So it would appear that even the young don't much care for a woman swearing. They didn't seem to have the same problem with the fellas. Double standard maybe?? Or maybe it was just that one word that they mostly objected to. What it suggested to me was that the 'f' word doesn't have the shock value it used to have so she felt she had to go one better and it backfired on her - for now.